Installing Unity & Getting Started with Game Development
Today you’re gonna learn how to install Unity, create a new project, add Git to version control and connect your repository to GitHub.
Download and install Unity
- Download Unity from here and follow the instructions of the installer.
- Create a Unity ID if you don’t have one, you go to need to login with your unity ID in order to use Unity Hub:
Creating a new Unity project
- Open Unity Hub, select “New”, select the project template, name your project and select a folder for your project, it is recommended to have your projects in the same folder:
- Wait Unity opens the new project.
Adding Git to your project:
- Open the terminal, go to your project folder and run the command “git init”:
Done! You can use git commands in your project
Connecting your project with Github:
- Go to github.com > select the “+” in the top right of the page > new repository
- Name your repository and add the unity .gitignore
- Go to the repository and select the green “code” button, then copy the link
- Open the terminal in your project folder and run the command below
git remote add origin <paste the link of your repository here>
Good to go, you are ready to work in your brand new Unity project, use git for version control and upload to GitHub.